Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mom's "FAMOUS" Russian Chicken

This is by far my favorite thing I make!  This recipe stuck with me since I was a kid obviously because it was super YUMMY!  So here's the backstory, when I was a kid my mom cooked chicken all the time, I was sick of it and even it was one of the reasons why I became a vegetarian for 4 years---no longer one, as you can see.  But this recipe always made the house smell mouth watering.  When I moved out and after my vegetarian years, I asked my mom for the "Famous Russian Chicken" recipe she had always made.

Later, I found out that her Famous Russian chicken was super popular and it wasn't her own recipe, but hey it's still freaking awesome!

So I tend to use Skinless Boneless thighs when I cook this, but it's totally up to you and what you enjoy.  In addition to that you need,
Apricot Marmalade
Red Russian Dressing
Lipton Onion soup/dip Mix

 Now I've messed this up when I first started making it because I confused apricot marmalade with orange or my dad bought the wrong russian dressing so take a look at the picture and clarify any of the confusion ya'll have!

After all the times I've made this, I find myself mixing the marinade first so I can coat the bottom of the chicken pan before I lay it in there--you know, you need to have the flavor everywhere!!
So, I used about...

  • half the jar of Apricot marmalade (6oz)
  • about 1/3 to 1/2 of Russian dressing
  • 1 package of Onion mix.  

Mixing it all together I then spread a thing layer at the bottom of the pan before laying down the chicken.



Now having 6 thighs, I still use a small glass pan probably 6"x10".  The chicken is usually overlapping but it still cooks, so I'm not to worried.  After the chicken is clean, I just plop it down in the pan and pour the marinade all over it.  Making sure the top of each piece is coated generously.  ***Warning, although it looks like a lot of marinade or a lot is on each chicken.  It thins out in the oven and you have a lot of juice left over to add on your mashed potatoes or pilaf or whatever side you chose to enjoy it with :)

Next throw it in the oven, middle shelf @ 350 and let it cook.  Depending on if you have bone or not, cook it as if you would any other chicken.  I cook my 6 boneless thighs for about 30 minutes.  (maybe that's a little longer since I do have overlapping chicken) but each chicken is their own..Ha!

While the chicken is cooking, my family usually makes mashed potatoes or rice pilaf and a
 vegetable.  Perfect amount of time for me to  *cough* heat up my mashed potatoes and cook my veggies.  I love me some broccoli or asparagus and even carrots with this chicken.

--For my broccoli I just boil it in water till I find the right tenderness I like and for asparagus, I roast it stove top with some salt and olive oil.


Don't mind my asparagus, they weren't cooked enough with me being sidetracked due to the salt that decided to explode.....

*And an extra plus with this recipe is that with all the stuff for this one meal you have enough to make it another time!

Good Luck and Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment